Whether you’re looking for a quality lesson to fill a gap in your lesson plan or an educational activity to keep your child learning over the summer, use this blog as a resource! This “lesson roundup” features Joy of Teaching blogs with downloadable activities and resources.
- Downloadable science nutrition lessons from Evan-Moor resources (grades K–6)
- Collection of cross-curricular nutrition lessons from USDA: “Serving up MyPlate”
- Examples of how to use images from The Mysteries of Harris Burdick for writing projects
- Examples of using images from the Library of Congress or magazines for creative writing prompts
- Downloadable reading and language arts activities from Evan-Moor (grades PreK–5)
- Link to a site for making your own trading cards
- Link to math lessons via the National Baseball Hall of Fame
- Activities from Evan-Moor’s Thinking Skills books
- Downloadable art projects (paper weaving and paper tube animals)
- Example of how to have students create a song or jingle using vocabulary words
- See what students can create from a simple shape and how to tie this activity to a theme.
- Template for helping students write an autobiographical poem
- Examples of free verse poems to share with students
- Simple book report forms and suggested book lists (grades PreK–4)
- Middle school lessons for John Steinbeck’s The Pearl and The Red Pony
- 10 ideas for quality summer learning experiences, including links to family gardening activities and helping children create their own blog
- Free e-book with a step-by-step guide for completing science projects—ideal for a summer project, too!
Theresa Wooler has more than 10 years’ experience in K–6 classrooms as a parent volunteer, has taught high school English, and is currently involved in education through Evan-Moor’s marketing communications team.