When it comes to teaching proper usage of the English language, including grammar and punctuation, many homeschoolers depend on a combination of two methods:
- Teach the rules of grammar and usage
- Review and practice language skills
Teach the rules of grammar and usage
Isolate individual language skills by introducing one rule at a time. We enjoy using Language Fundamentals. It is a complete language curriculum that is focused and fun and can be completed in just a few minutes at a time.
Review and practice language skills
The second method is reviewing and practicing language skills, which is equally important. We all tend to remember the skills that we use, so there is great value in helping our kids review language skills on a daily basis.
Keep practice and review short and sweet in your lessons. Daily Language Review is perfect for fast and focused review. As part of the ever-popular “Daily” series from Evan-Moor, Daily Language Review features focused skill practice in just 10–15 minutes each day.
In Daily Language Review, there is a short task that reviews specific language skills each day of the week.
- Days 1–4 are each on a half-page format and have four sentences that need attention. The first task is to correct two sentences that are written incorrectly. Your kids can pretend to “Be the Teacher” and find the mistakes that need to be corrected. The last two sentences involve practicing skills for punctuation, verb tense, and conjunctions.
- Day 5 is a one-page task that focuses on vocabulary and word meaning. It is a good mini-lesson for learning or reviewing how to use the word properly.
Daily Language Review is perfect for:
- Morning warm-up work (while you are grabbing a cup of coffee or getting out materials for the day).
- Quick assessments to see if your child remembers language skills taught previously. If not, you can quickly see what to reteach your child.
- Consistent practice to help kids remember how to properly use what they have learned.
By using Daily Language Review in your homeschooling, you are certain that your child is getting consistent language skill review to help practice all s/he has already learned.
Check out the skills covered and try out a week of Daily Language Review sample lessons here. (You will receive a weekly unit for grades 1-8 in this sampler.) Until 2/25/18 receive 20% off Daily Language Review with coupon code DLR20!
Find it in TeacherFileBox
Daily Language Review and Language Fundamentals are included in Evan-Moor’s digital lesson plan library, TeacherFileBox.com. In fact, over 600 Evan-Moor titles are included in a TeacherFileBox subscription! Click here to learn more about TeacherFileBox.com for homeschooling.
You can also find these titles on Evan-Moor’s website in print or e-book formats. Evan-Moor makes it so easy and convenient to homeschool with their quality and affordable resources.
Do you use Daily Language Review in your homeschooling?
Let me know in the comments!
Amy Michaels is a certified teacher with 11 years of elementary classroom experience who is actively homeschooling her own children. Her mission is share the best teaching methods and resources with all homeschoolers. Amy supports parents through her podcasts, webinars, and online training for homeschoolers on her website www.thrivehomeschooling.com.